(Note: This article was updated on June 26, 2013)
If you have a YouTube Account and are already watching videos and subscribing to channels, you may be interested in taking the next step and creating your own YouTube Channel. Having a channel is a great way to become more socially connected with other YouTube members. With a channel, you can:
- Store and share videos you’ve created for others to view. Your channel can feature home videos, entertaining videos, or videos that you’ve created about your interests. Some YouTube Channel owners choose to make and upload a vlog or video diary to share recent events in their lives.
- Share your opinions and thoughts with the YouTube Community. You’ll have the freedom to write comments about videos, respond to other users, and indicate which videos are your favorites.
- Create playlists. As you find videos that you like on YouTube, you may decide to put them in a collection, or a playlist, of videos that your channel can display. Other users can visit your channel to see which videos you’ve collected. Many channels feature playlists of videos that interest the owner like music, sports, pets, or videos related to their hobbies.
- Express yourself. Some members choose to decorate their channel with wallpaper or graphics to show the community who they are or what the purpose of their channel is. A well-decorated channel can be exciting for viewers to see.
When you create your channel, you can give it a name. Choose wisely, but don’t be afraid to be a little creative! Viewers will be able to find you on YouTube by searching for your channel’s name.
To Create a YouTube Channel:
Before we show you how to create your channel, make sure you’re signed in to your YouTube account.
- In the top-right corner of the page, locate and click the triangle. Select My channel from the menu that appears.
- A dialog box will appear. To give your channel a name, click To use a business or other name, click here.
- Enter the name you wish to use. Click OK, I’m ready to continue to create your channel.
- You will be redirected to your channel’s home page. From here, you can upload videos, share a little more about yourself in your channel’s About section, or create Playlists.
OK, you’re all set to begin enjoying those features available to YouTube Channel holders. Feel free to explore all of the tools and features available to you and design your channel match your needs or personality. Come visit GCFLearnFree.org’s YouTube Channel to see what we’ve done with ours!