Even if you don’t run your own company, you’ve probably heard of QuickBooks, the most popular accounting software for small businesses. QuickBooks is a great way to organize company finances, keep track of sales, monitor expenses, create invoices, or even pay your bills.
A lot of you have been asking for QuickBooks help and tutorials for a long time—we hope this proves to be a good start! Our guide below will help you choose the right version of QuickBooks for your needs, direct you to free tutorial videos and provide a variety of additional links and resources.
QuickBooks was originally designed for people without accounting experience, but there are now many different versions depending on your skill level. If you’ve never used QuickBooks before, we recommend starting with QuickBooks Online.
QuickBooks Online is completely free to try and does not require you to install anything on your computer—all you need is an internet connection and a web browser. This is an easy way to learn about the different features QuickBooks offers, whether you’re looking to beef up your resume or just start keeping better records for your business. We should mention that you will have to start paying a monthly fee to use the program after the first thirty days.
QuickBooks Online also offers a wonderful series of free video tutorials if you need help getting started. These should look very familiar if you’ve ever seen any of our videos on GCFLearnFree. This video provides an excellent introduction:
QuickBooks Mobile App
Another added feature of QuickBooks Online is the QuickBooks Mobile app, available on the App Store and Google Play Store. This simple app is free and allows you to create receipts or check payments on the go. Plus, anything you add on your mobile device will automatically be updated the next time you log-in to your computer! You must have a QuickBooks Online account to use the app.
Need a Little Extra?
Perhaps your needs are more complex: do you want QuickBooks to help manage your payroll or track your inventory? You might consider purchasing QuickBooks Pro. Because this program costs a little more than QuickBooks Online, about $200, we recommend using the following low-cost options if you need help learning how to use its features:
- Learning QuickBooks is a reasonably priced, step-by-step software program for learning QuickBooks Pro at home, with versions for Windows and Macintosh computers. If you would prefer to learn at your own pace this might be the right guide for you.
- Lynda.com provides a comprehensive training program for QuickBooks Pro. A monthly subscription to the site costs under $30. This is a great option if you have a little accounting experience and would like to start using QuickBooks Pro.
If you have a working knowledge of QuickBooks and would like to start learning about its other features or find help for a specific problem, we recommend you visit the following resources:
- QuickBooks Blog A blog run by Intuit, the company that produces QuickBooks. Here you’ll find notices about updates to the software and answers to common questions.
- QuickBooks Users Blog An independent blog run by a long-time QuickBooks user. This post offers five simple rules for success when using QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks Community Intuit also provides a space for users to help each other learn on the QuickBooks Forums.
Whether you’re an experienced QuickBooks user or looking to start using the program for the first time, we hope you can put these resources to good use.