Yep, it’s that time of year again, when we get overwhelmed with red and pink, chocolate and romance. There is nothing like the craze of Valentine’s Day to remind you that you are single. So, if you find yourself thinking about how to find that special someone, we suggest you try going online.
From online dating sites to other popular social media, today’s digital world is quickly replacing the “barstool” when it comes to helping people romantically connect. In the past it was considered rather taboo to meet someone online, but now that socializing on the web in general has become so integrated into our lives, online dating has naturally become a practical and accepted option.
If you would like to consider online dating, you should first do your homework, since many sites require an investment of both time and money. Below is a list of sites and resources that can help get you started.
Online Dating Advice
- CyberDating Expert – Advice and coaching from popular author and columnist Julie Spira.
- Evan Marc Katz - Advice from one of the most popular dating coaches. Also check out his E-Cyrano site for profile writing help.
- OKTrends - This blog, from the OkCupid dating site, offers research, trends and observations regarding online dating. It is based on the analysis of statistics from users on their site. The information can be very insightful, but be warned that content is very frank and may offend some.
Popular Fee-Based Dating Sites
- Match.com – Generally considered the largest online dating site with the most even male/female ratio. It offers simple, easy-to-use search tools for matching.
- Chemistry.com – Matching is based on personality testing for chemistry and the site has an emphasis on committed relationships.
- eHarmony – Matching is based on extensive personality testing. Site emphasizes marriage and long-term relationships and is known for its guided communication tools that ease you into initial contacts.
Popular Free Dating Sites
- PlentyOfFish - The largest free online dating site with simple tools for searching.
- OKCupid - This free online dating site provides matching based on personality tests.
Popular Mobile Dating Apps
- Zoosk - The largest dating app in the U.S., it is consistently voted most popular and includes a GPS location feature.
- Meet Moi – A free location-based dating app that alerts you when a match is nearby and is also integrated with Facebook.
- Match Mobile - A mobile version of the popular Match.com site.
Connecting with Social Media
- Facebook - Facebook has become more and more popular for making romantic connections as many singles begin chatting with Friends of Friends while on the site.
- Meetup – This site helps people meet locally at events and outings based on their hobbies and interests. It’s great for those who would still rather get to know someone in person while still being able to communicate online based on common interests. (Many Meetup groups are also based on singles gatherings and speed-dating.)
Before you get started it is important that you learn how to be safe when socializing with others online. See our lesson on Precautions to Take When Meeting People Face To Face in our Internet Safety tutorial or check out Online Dating Safety Tips from OnlineDatingMagazine.com.
Happy Valentine’s Day!