Everyone is nervous during a job interview. It is fine to be nervous; you just don’t want to look nervous! To appear calm, cool, and confident during an interview, follow these five tips:
1. Make sure your pockets are empty before you go. That way, you won’t be able to jingle the change or keys in your pockets as you answer questions and discuss the potential job, which can be very distracting to the person leading the interview.
2. Sit with your back all the way against the back of the chair and with both feet planted firmly on the ground. This reduces the likelihood that you will slouch or bounce your legs and feet, which are sure signs of being uncomfortable.
3. Clasp your hands and rest them (on the table or desk) in front of you as you answer interview questions. This will help you stay focused on your answer and you won’t be tempted to pick at your resume or tap your pen. It also gives your shoulders a chance to relax. And the more relaxed you are, the more confident you’ll seem.
4. Maintain eye contact as you answer questions. If you are not comfortable looking directly into the interviewer’s eyes, imagine a gold star placed right between his eyes and look there. You’ll appear as if you are looking the interviewer in the eyes, even if you aren’t.
5. Smile! You don’t have to show your pearly whites the entire time or be overly excited with your smile; but a small, friendly smile will help you relax and put the interviewer at ease, too!